ARGAS (Arabian Geophysical and Surveying Company) was created in 1966 as a limited liability partnership between Industrialization and Energy Services Company (TAQA, 51 % shareholding) and Compagnie Generale de Geophysique (now CGGVeritas) which owns the remaining 49 %.
Based in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia, ARGAS is the first majority Saudi capital company of its kind in the Middle East that specializes in providing land, shallow water and marine seismic data acquisition, processing services as well as other geophysical R&D and surveying services for petroleum, mining and ground water resources.
For Saudi Aramco, ARGAS’s main client, two large 3D land seismic crews are currently operational as well as two Ocean-Bottom-Cable (OBC) crews in the Arabian Gulf. In late 2009, ARGAS successfully completed a 3D shallow marine seismic survey over the Safaniyah Field and a large marine survey in participation with CGGVeritas in the Arabian Gulf.
ARGAS has also participated in exploration activity in Rub Al Khali (The Empty Quarter) with the International Oil Companies ( IOCs) by conducting a project for SRAK; a joint venture between Saudi Aramco and Shell to acquire a 2D seismic survey over one of their concessions.
Developing human capital in ARGAS plays an important role in establishing the Company’s excellence. ARGAS takes pride in developing qualified Saudi professionals through intensive field-based training programs both in Saudi Arabia and abroad.
Transfer of technology is another objective for ARGAS. Saudization of positions is steadily increasing (currently at 46%) despite the harsh desert and Gulf working environments. ARGAS’s efforts in this were acknowledged by the Saudi Government with the reception of an Award for Saudization from His Royal Highness Prince Naif Bin Abdul Aziz.